Open educational resources (OER) are dependent on the idea of community and knowledge-sharing. For this reason, we’ve compiled a list of resources to help you find what you need in order to make OER or use OER. Read on for:
Pressbooks Guides and Documentation
- Pressbooks User Guide: The always-growing guide to using Pressbooks. Most general questions about getting started, using specific features, and customizing your text will be answered here.
- Pressbooks Network Manager’s Guide: The guide to running and administering a PressbooksEDU network. This guide should answer general questions you have about how to manage your network.
- Pressbooks YouTube Channel: For those who prefer to watch and learn, check out the Pressbooks YouTube channel for video tutorials on a wide range of features in Pressbooks.
Resources for resources? We’ve got you covered. Many people have created guides for how to publish open educational resources, or OER, using Pressbooks as a platform. We recommend the following to any educator looking to learn more about how to build and publish open textbooks.
- BCcampus Open Education Accessibility Toolkit, Amanda Coolidge, Sue Doner, and Tara Robertson, BCcampus
- Importing Open Content With Pressbooks, Steel Wagstaff, UW-Madison
- Self-Publishing Guide, Lauri Aesoph, BCcampus
- Authoring Open Textbooks, Melissa Falldin & Karen Lauritsen, Open Textbook Network
- Modifying an Open Textbook: What You Need to Know, Cheryl Cuillier, Amy Hofer, Annie Johnson, Kathleen Labadorf, et al., Open Textbook Network
- A Guide to Making Open Textbooks with Students, Robin DeRosa, Rajiv Jhangiani, Timothy Robbins, David Squires, et al., Rebus Community
- The Evolution of Affordable Content Efforts in the Higher Education Environment: Programs, Case Studies, and Examples, Kristi Jensen and Shane Nackerud, Editors, University of Minnesota
- UH OER Training, William Meinke, UH OER
- Faculty OER Toolkit, Shannon Moist, BCcampus Open Education
- Print-on-Demand Guide, Lauri Aesoph, BCcampus Open Education
- Publishing in Pressbooks, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- The Rebus Guide to Publishing Open Textbooks (So Far), Rebus Community
Studies, Toolkits, and More
- The Impact of Open Educational Resources on Various Student Success Metrics (2018), International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- The OER Toolkit, The Learning Portal — College Libraries Ontario
- Rebus Office Hours, a monthly webinar on OER led by the Rebus Community and the Open Textbook Network