Pressbooks helps you design and produce the files you need to publish your book. With our self-service software, create the reader-ready PDFs required by print and print-on-demand distribution services, and the EPUB files necessary to distribute with ebook stores like Kindle, Nook, and more.
In this chapter we will cover:
Choosing the Right Format
Depending on how you plan to publish, you will need to choose an export format for your book. In addition your Pressbooks webbook, you can choose four different export file formats:
- Print PDF: Export a print PDF file if you plan to publish your book in print format. This file meets the requirements of printers and print-on-demand services.
- Digital PDF: Export and download the digital PDF instead if you do not plan on printing the file. These can be used online and can contain hyperlinks for easier navigation.
- EPUB: Export EPUBs to submit to any popular ebook distributor. This is the file you’d use to submit your ebook to Kobo, Nook, iBooks, Amazon, and others.
Select Content for Export
Not all content in your book in Pressbooks has to be included in your exported files. This is a convenient feature for users who are creating books for several formats and only want certain content and a specific format.
You can decide which chapters, front matter, and back matter you’d like to be included in your exported files from the Organize page:
- Go to Organize from the left sidebar menu in Pressbooks.
- Find the “Show in Exports” column at the top of a section.
- Select the box in this column for each chapter you want in your exported files.
Chapters should be selected by default. You can tell that a chapter has been selected to Show in Exports when a checkmark appears. Unselect the box by clicking it again to remove the chapter from your Exports
You can also click “Show in Exports” at the top of a column to select or deselect all chapters in that section.
Export Your Book Files
To export your book:
- Access your Pressbooks dashboard.
- Click Export from the left sidebar menu.
- In the “Export Options” panel, select the boxes for the file formats you wish to export.
- Click the Export Your Book button directly under the “Export Options” panel.
A progress bar will appear, and you can watch as each step of your files’ export is completed.
Supported file formats for export include PDF (for print), Digital PDF (for digital distribution), and EPUB (for ebook distributors).
Pressbooks also allows you to export other beta formats. This includes EPUB 3, XHTML, HTMLBook, OpenDocument, Pressbooks XML, and WordPress XML.
To view how changes you have made will affect your book (like edits to chapters or changing your book theme), you must export and download a new set of files. When successfully exported, the files will appear underneath “Latest Exports.” Pressbooks keeps the last 3 files exported of each format.
Download, delete, or pin exported files
Download: To download an exported file, hover over the file name and click the “Download” link that appears.
Delete: To delete an exported file, hover over the file name and click the “Delete” link that appears.
You can also delete files in bulk by following these steps:
- Select the box to the left of the files you’d like to delete, or select the box at the top left of the table to select all files for deletion
- Click the Bulk Actions dropdown menu at the top or bottom of the table and select Delete.
- Click Apply.
Pin: You can pin a file in your Latest Exports table to prevent the file from being deleted and allow you to find it more quickly in the future. To do so, select the box in the “Pin” column for the file you wish to save.
You can save up to 5 files, and up to 3 of one file type. If you try to pin a 6th file, you’ll receive an error message. If you’ve pinned three files of a given export type and then try to export a new file of that format, you’ll see an error message asking you to deselect one of your pinned files before attempting to export again.
Adjust Table Settings: By default, the Export table will show you all the files you’ve exported. If you’d rather your files display in a shorter table with navigable pages, you can adjust the table settings to display fewer rows with the Screen Options setting available at the top of the page.
Sort: You can organize your files by file name, format, size, pinned status, or date by clicking the links for those terms available at the top or bottom of the table.
Upgrade Your Book Files
All exported books include a Pressbooks promotional watermark before you upgrade. To learn more about how to upgrade, remove the watermark, and the benefits you will receive, read our chapter on How to Upgrade your Pressbooks.com book.
Once you upgrade, you can still re-export your files. The upgrade is permanent for each book you upgrade and will apply to all future exports of the same book.
Web Distribution of Exported Files
If you are creating your book on a PressbooksEDU network, you also have the option to enable public downloads of your exported book files directly from your webbook homepage.
To enable public downloads on your book, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Sharing & Privacy from the left sidebar menu in Pressbooks.
- Find the setting titled “Share Latest Export Files”.
- Select the following option: “Yes. I would like the latest export files to be available on the homepage for free, to everyone.”
- Click Save Changes.
Turning on the “Share Latest Export Files” option will enable the feature on your book, but files won’t appear to the public until a book administrator has exported them from the Exports page.
For more information on this feature, please read our chapter on the Web Distribution of Exported Files.
Need more help? Check out our brief video demonstration: